March 7-8, 2017
The Lansing Center
It’s that time of year again! Time for a special, exciting day when we all gather in Lansing for:
- National caliber speakers and educational sessions;
- Innovative technology on display in the exhibit hall;
- Prime networking events;
- Awards and recognition for your hard work;
- And more!
That’s right-it’s GLBC time! The Great Lakes Broadcasting Conference & EXPO is less than two months away and YOU need to make plans to attend!
Invest in yourself and your future…attend GLBC and be inspired!
Register for GLBC here.
Session: Unsung Heros of TV News
Presented by Les Rose, Professor of Practice, Broadcast and Digital Journalism, Syracuse University, S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communication
Stations expect journalists to be multimedia. Les will you give you valuable tips on how to be multimedia including:
- Journalists that happen to use a camera instead of a laptop.
- Freeway Devil: Preparing the story on the way TO the story; and how to structure the story on the way there, and then adapting it to what is actually there.
- How to turn a PR handout into a standout..
- The ultimate baseball fan and a lesson in moments. Broken second mic was a good thing. Transitions and a “Stairway to Heaven.”
- Multiple jump cuts are not a mistake, it’s a technique.
- Take the “Man on the Street” off the street, and make it infinitely more powerful.
- To get a great interview, leave the gear in the car…if only for two minutes. Really, two minutes.
- Putting the subject(s) at ease: leave your shoes at the door, and accept the water. I’ll explain!
- A hard news lead story shot in a day, with feature character building.
- Everyday stories that have disabled people as sources, yet the stories aren’t about disabled people!
- WHAT to DO and NOT to do in a fire: car engine running and parked for departure.
- How to shoot a policeman’s funeral when they won’t let you in.