MAB & Poynter’s Sensemaking Summit for Journalists
Saturday, September 10 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Crown Plaza, Lansing
The workshop will help journalists ask key questions that will make your reporting more reliable and make your journalism stand out from others who just report what they read or hear.
The workshop will help journalists:
- Sort through claims about some of the hottest topics in this political year, including immigration, climate change and gun control.
- Discover the money trail behind candidates to see who is supporting them, including front groups for major businesses and industries.
- Show how political commercials manipulate the truth by using out-of-context facts, emotional music and patriotic images.
- Show how to look critically at online and social media posts to determine if they are real.
- Show how all sources are not created equal – and how your choices of the right ones can make your work better and more accurate.
- Help find the hidden metadata on digital online images.
- Teach how to verify and decode the science behind “scientific” studies.
- Teach the key questions you should ask about every study before you report the study’s claims.
- Help see the difference between correlation and causation.
- Share the four key questions every journalist should ask on every assignment.
To be considered for this free workshop, complete this form. All professional journalists who apply will be accepted, if space allows. You will receive a follow-up email from Poynter with more logistical details. This regional workshop is free for MAB and MAPB members!
Thanks to the support from the MAB, Participant Media and the Poynter Institute. You are on your own for the hotel and travel, but we are open to hardship pleas. Please complete that part of the application if you need a travel stipend.
Brought to you by: