Last week President Obama signed the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS) Modernization Act of 2015 into law. The new law integrates multiple communication systems like EAS and wireless alerts, promotes local and regional public and private partnerships, and provides redundant alert mechanisms to reach the largest number of people during an emergency.
The law does the following:
• Instructs FEMA to establish or adopt protocols and standards for IPAWS.
• Establishes a training program for Federal, State and local officials in the use of the CAP-enabled EAS system.
• Conducts a national test not less than once every three years.
• Conducts public education to inform citizens of the functions of the alerting system.
• Establishes an IPAWS subcommittee under the National Advisory Council.