With the departure of Jake Neher for WDET-FM (Detroit), Michigan Public Radio Network (MPRN) has an opening for a State Capitol Correspondent. The person in this position is responsible for reporting news stories for use by stations within the Michigan Association of Public Broadcasters (MAPB). The MAPB is seeking an experienced multi-platform journalist to cover the state legislature, state government and politics.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- News reporting, including coverage of the Michigan state house, major state departments, the courts, politics and elections and other timely issues of statewide interest.
- Production of content for broadcast and web, including spots, features, and interviews.
- Production of digital content including: web stories that may include images and video; possible podcasts, social media posts and other content as directed by the Bureau Chief/Managing Editor.
- Live event coverage which may include hosting Public appearances as approved by Bureau Chief/Managing Editor.
- Excellent reporting, writing and editing skills, with an ability to convey the human story behind public policy issues.
- A passion for breaking news.
- The ability to work on tight deadlines and meet them.
- A degree in journalism or related field, or equivalent experience.
For consideration: Please send cover letter, resume, writing and audio samples to:
MPRN Managing Editor Rick Pluta
Michigan Public Radio Network
819 N. Washington Ave
Lansing, MI 48906
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
MPRN is an Equal Opportunity Employer